Thursday, August 22, 2013

Summer Sweetness

I have procrastinated horribly in posting this entry from the 4th of July. Here ya go!

This week we are on vacation. We chose to stay close to home in order to visit my brother-in-law who is in from college. We have been swimming, visiting friends and family, staying up late, riding the golf cart, playing games, eating lots of awesome unhealthy food, and in general having a great time. As I type this, my husband and I are in a crowded pavilion at Lake Tansi with our two kids and tons of other campers watching a late night cartoon. I have seen this one several times, so I am "cheating" in the back row by typing this blog entry. Every few minutes my 6 year old daughter glances back at me and smiles as the entire group bursts into laughter.  My 4 year old son has been eating popcorn non stop; I really don't know where he is putting it all!  The cool night air coming off the lake is simply nostalgic of childhood summertime bliss, innocence, and simpler times. Lightening bugs and fireworks glimmer off the lake in the distance. I keep thinking to myself, "I don't want to forget any of this." My daughter's sweet little bobbed head in front of me (she suddenly HAD to have a big girl hair cut yesterday), my husband playing the guitar and writing songs around the campfire, and my son dropping his drawers to pee in the bushes (which was oddly enough in front of a window) are all treasures from this week. There are moments each day that we choose what attitude we will have. This week a few sharp words have been said, we had some extremely early morning wake-up calls from the kids, experienced a lot of unexpected rain,  and a few times I felt the beach calling my name. However, those thoughts are not thankful and would lead me to a week of discontent and an opportunity for pleasure and rest missed.   It reminds me of the scripture, "Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." If you treasure something you cling to it, dwell on it, and it becomes your focus. When we choose that bad attitude and allow all of the worries and negatives to remain in the forefront of our minds, we are treasuring them. Look past the hiccups and disappointments. There are sweet times and song filled days in our midst. Receive the blessing of today. The to-do list never ends, but your kids being little will. Enjoy today! It is a holy gift. 
Love, Alice




They were so excited to visit a "neighbor" at the campground's pet bird!



No comments:

Post a Comment